Simple concept (!) I wanted to give a URL to.
- One thousand or more nodes in a mesh or other network
- Each node has:
- One terabyte or more of disk
- One gigabyte or more of ram
- On gigahertz or more of processor
- Nodes are scattered through a contiguous geography like a city
Conceptually, Petascale Urban Computing weaves a supercomputer through a city. A petabyte is enough to store most of what a community is interested in, and the combined processing power is plenty to be getting on with.
The core vision is that your PUC router is a direct connection to an urban supercomputer that completely penetrates your world, continually crunching data so that whatever you need is right there when you want it.
At night, when you sleep, it thinks on your behalf.