A quick summary.
- Data centers are inherently centralized, and bloody expensive. Once you have all that data in one place, doing large scale monitoring is very easy.
- Sutherland’s Wheel predicts that centralization and decentralization take turns as “progress.” We are turning forwards to decentralization again: bitcoin, bittorrent and so on.
- The People’s Cloud is the aggregated computer power of their online devices. Bittorrent uses the People’s Cloud to serve your files in a hurry!
- The People’s Cloud, with appropriate security, deprives advertisers, marketers and central government of improper knowledge of our affairs.
- Figuring out how to stop bad people using your computer for bad things is an inherent problem of People’s Cloud applications. It’s not a computing task-farm for money, I can tell you that much.