• A quick life update…

    by  • November 2, 2011 • Everything Else • 2 Comments

    My life makes even less sense than usual. Remember when I was settled in Cloughjordan Ecovillage in Ireland, putting my feet up and hunkering down for the apocalypse? Yeah, me neither. I was offered a role at Hub Westminster to “do something amazing with nights and weekends” and so I did. So I’m now back in London, in culture shock, trying to design a lifestyle that works for me including such mundanities as finding a place to live. Ah, the drama!

    Truth and Beauty (#truthandbeauty) is a regular Tuesday and Thursday night events which curates a collection of the most interesting things we can find, mainly discursive on Tuesdays and mainly performative on Thursdays. We have dinner together (by the fab Munch Food, or you can bring your own), talk, get to know each other, have our horizons broadened, then have a cup of tea afterwards.

    We have an intimidatingly good schedule for November: Richard Stallman, Jamais Cascio and (TBA) Pat Kane. On a lesser note, I’m doing three talks on The Future We Deserve, too, at Indy Johar’s behest.

    Some details about the first talk, which is on economic geography – how the world’s money is really divided, what the real relationship is between the 1% and the rest of us, the 99%, and so on. It’s big, solid heavy-hitting stuff, and sets the stage for the next talk on Tuesday the 8th of November on governance and globalism, and the final talk on November 15th on where the real levers to solve these problems are.

    Here are the slides.

    There’s a write-up with notes from Ethin

    The archival writeup is here, and this is a direct link to the high quality audio file.

    So come on down to Truth and Beauty. There’s always going to be something fascinating and amazing going on, and we very much hope to see you at an event soon.

    flattr this!


    Vinay Gupta is a consultant on disaster relief and risk management.


    2 Responses to A quick life update…

    1. November 5, 2011 at 5:46 pm

      Hi, Vinay,

      Always a pleasure checking in on your work. I’m in Sweden at the moment, regrouping after last failure to build a darkroom to test the darkness conjecture (see my website).

      On page 10 of your slideshow, “The Future We Deserve”, it says: “Our numbers were small; we died fast.” Not sure what you were saying during the presentation. But would your statement be affected by the fact that, when life expectancy is adjusted for deaths before age five, it is roughly the same today as it always was? Ie, anyone who survived birth and made it to age five had the same chances to make it to 75 as we do today? (And likely in better health, having a better time).

      Best wishes in London!


    2. Pingback: Vinay Gupta’s Science & Engineering in the Public Interest « Appropriate Solutions

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *